Local: Visitor Tips
Here are some quick suggestions for visitors with limited time in the City: The schedule is a suggestion for those who want to see the essence of Winnipeg in only a couple of days.
One Day Stay
Here are the things you should try to do on your first day (this may take mmore than a day if you are travelling with children)
- Start at the Manitoba Legislature. It's the heart of the city and the province
- Visit Dalnavert, one of the most important old homes in the city
- See the Winnipeg Art Gallery
- Visit the Winnipeg Grain Exchange and the historical Exchange District, with some of the oldest buildings in Western Canada. Winnipeg's Chinatown is also in this area
- Visit the Centennial Centre, the focal point for the city's arts community
- Cross the River into Old St Boniface, to see the largest French community west of Montreal
- Cross the Red River again, to The Forks, a local gathering spot, market, and historical site
- Take the Riverwalk along the Assiniboine River from The Forks back to the
Legislature, if you wish
- For an interesting evening, head south into Osborne Village, on the south shore of the Assiniboine River. A little further west, on Corydon is the city's Italian district, with many great restaurants.
Two Day Stay
border=1 ALIGN="RIGHT" ALT="Pond in Assiniboine Park" HSPACE="5" VSPACE="5" >
Here are suggestions for a second day in Winnipeg:
- Head west to the Air Force Heritage Park, just south of the airport to see many propellor and jet planes from the past.
- Head west to the Living Prairie Museum & Park, which preserves a rare patch of the tall grass prairie that existed in the West. South from the park is Grant's Mill on beautiful Sturgeon Creek
- Head south to Assiniboine Park, where there is a zoo, the Leo Mol sculpture garden, as well as Canada's largest urban forest.
- Head south again to the Fort Whyte Centre for Environmental Education
- Head east to the Royal Canadian Mint, and see how Canada's coins are made (free tour but no free samples)
- Head northeast to view the massive Spillway which each springtime sends the Red River floodwaters around Winnipeg.
|Calgary Table Of Contents
|Other FoundLocally Communities & Websites
Copyright 1999-2012 FoundLocally.com Media Inc (403) 245-2194 Contact FoundLocally