Winnipeg: Cab Fare Is Must-Have For Party Season
(NC)-'Tis the season to deck the halls at holiday parties and celebrations, but amid the toasts and good cheer, it is important to make responsible and safe choices. Good planning can help keep you from becoming one of the thousands of Canadians killed in impaired driving incidents every year.
Good planning also saves you time and stress. The average cost to a person charged and convicted of impaired driving is almost $20,000. Based on this, a $50 cab ride, or the nominal fee to take public transit home certainly doesn't seem so inconvenient.
And making a good plan will put you in good company. According to a 2007 Ipsos-Reid/Labatt Breweries of Canada survey, 89 per cent of Canadians of legal drinking age and older do exactly that.
Here are a few practical tips to help you make a plan during the holiday season:
- Fold and hide cab fare on you before going out for the evening.
- Program a cab company's number into your cell phone.
- Suggest your designated driver (D.D.) invite a "D.D. Buddy" along for company. Doing a good deed is more fun when you share the experience.
- Set a pre-planned departure time and meeting place with your D.D.
- Return the favour and volunteer to be the D.D. next time.
- Crash at a friend's house or book a hotel room.
For more information about responsible use and tips for making a plan, visit www.makeaplan.ca.